Re: greek man, american woman

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Anne on July 19, 2000 at 12:56:12:

In Reply to: greek man, american woman posted by karina on July 18, 2000 at 22:54:57:

On holidays, he spends time with the family, and does not invite me to family parties. What is going on here? is there any cultural basis for this?

Well, I am an American Woman who has been dating a Greek man for a while now, in fact, he is a native greek - his family lives in Athens- and he is here for his education. What he has explained to me is that most times, the parents of a greek child do not meet their boyfriend/girlfriends untill the couple is about to announce their engagement. Couples can date for 5-6 years or more in relative secrecy untill finally meeting the parents. Granted, their are exceptions to the rule, and times are changing, but this is what my boyfriend explained to me. It's just a cultural difference. Mabey this is why your boyfriend does not invite you to family parties. Ask him about it and talk to him. I am sure he is not doing it to hurt you. It's just that the cultural differences between the way his family runs and yours runs may be causing some misunderstandings. It was a long time before my boyfriend even told his parents he had a girlfriend (they still have never spoke to me or anything). At first I was a little hurt, but then he explained to me it was not because he was trying to hide me, but because that is the way that people date - rather secretively - at his home. Now that I talked to him about it, and I understand it, everything is fine. Bottom line is talk to him about it, and everything should work out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]