Re: I Agree You Need Lots Of Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by John Nasou on August 01, 2000 at 09:35:05:

In Reply to: Re: Need Lots Of Advice posted by De on February 15, 2000 at 10:51:17:

: : I am marrying a great Greek guy. I would like to convert to the Greek Orthodox religion.My mom is Catholic & dad's Jewish and haven't had religion in my life.How difficult will it be to embrace this faith.I also need lots of help regarding greek traditions and culture.Please help...

:
: I would first recommend doing some research on the net about Greek Orthodoxy and its teachings. There are plenty of reliable sites out there, such as the Archdiocese homepage. Then I would schedule a meeting with the priest who will possibly be marrying you two, and ask more questions. You owe it to yourself and your (potential)family to find out as much as you can ahead of time. I am married to a Greek and am also Greek Orthodox. I find it very important to be the same religion, because we can worship together and stand unified on a singular set of values.

: For someone who has not had a great exposure to
faith in a church, you will face many stumbling blocks in Orthodoxy. There is no question that if succeed without stumbling, you will find great beauty and revelation in this Church which expresses the teachings of Christ as they were established by him and through his disciples. Although I was born a Greek Orthodox, I did not appreciate its great truths until about the age of forty and I did not understand how important these are until I finally retired and found the time to fully study them. You do need the guidance of a priest in approaching this marriage
and there is no question that harmony of beliefs makes for a more meaningful marriage. God bless you both.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]