Re: NAME PRONUNCIATION

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Emmanuel Lazidis on January 21, 2000 at 22:33:08:

In Reply to: Re: NAME PRONUNCIATION posted by Dawn Davis on January 18, 2000 at 19:29:38:

Ummm.. Koufos is actually pronounced koo-FOS.
The Greek "ou" diphthong is pronounced as a long "u".
Koufos means "deaf" and is of masculine gender.
Traditionally, women with that last-name would have it be koo-FOO instead which means "of the koufos" (or of the "deaf").
But since this suffix change implies "ownership" it may not be used that much anymore, even though it is acceptable for husband and wife to have different last names. right? ;-)
it's sort of like the non-greek DeMaria, DeMarco, DeSantis, DeValenzuela..... etc.
So, to review:
A deaf man is "koufos" (koo-FOS).
A deaf woman is "koufi". (koo-FEE).
And someone "belonging" to a deaf man is "koufou" (koo-FOO).

And that was the Greek lesson of the day.
And if you were a male "tiflos" (tee-FLOS) or a female "tifli" (tee-FLEE) you wouldn't have seen this. If you were "tiflou" (tee-FLOO) you would've been reading this to someone else I guess, as long as they weren't "koufoi" (koo-FEE) which is plural for both koufos or koufi; it's neuter.
Is this all Greek to you?

- E

: Thank you "someone" whoever you are.

: : : HOW WOULD YOU PRONOUNCE (koufos) IN GREEK AND IN ENGLISH....COULD YOU GIVE ME A PHONETIC PRONOUNCIATION?

: : : THANK YOU

: : I think how you would say it in English is 'Ko-FOO' That's how I always heard it as.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]