Re: Why do so many intercultural relationships end??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Cessie on November 10, 2000 at 10:59:43:

In Reply to: Re: Why do so many intercultural relationships end?? posted by Sylvia on November 07, 2000 at 09:21:48:

: : Sylvia-

: : Do you speak Greek? Do you know what they say behind your back? I have travelled the world and met many Greeks along the way and let me say that you are correct not to generalize but the "brainwashing phenomenon" is the rule rather than the exception.

: : Everything in a Greek child's life is programmed. Guilt is a powerful tool. Before the kid can have an opinion of its' own, the decisions are already made for him/her. Many Greeks DO tyrannize their children even well into married life.

: : Anyone who tells you this does not exist really needs to take a hard look at themselves. No matter how hard one tries, you will NEVER be Greek and that won't be good enough.

: : The only way to be "safe" in a relationship like that is if the Greek member is truly mature and an independent thinker. If that person is afraid of their parents...then it won't work. I went through hell to marry the woman I love and it is shameful...perhaps even more shameful that Greeks refuse to admit that it happens.

: Yes. I speak good Greek. Infact I speak several languages because like you I have travelled the world. You are not dealing with a naive girl here that believes that all Greeks are okay.... I am a 39 yrs old happy mother of a grown up daughter.
: Listen, I am sorry you had such a bad experience,
: mine is totally different, consider it luck.
: I am sure his parents are not talking behind my back, there just not that kind of people.They have let their children free in every way, they have let them study outside Greece and they respect their childrens decisions. I have seen it with my own eyes. They do not always agree with the decisions made; but they respect it.
: Yes, you are right, I will never become Greek and I am not trying to become Greek, why should I? I am proud of my own heritage!
: well Mihalis at least we agree on the fact that it takes a "mature and indepent thinker"as you call it to choose for his woman despite the negative reaction of his family but that does not only apply to Greeks does it?
: I wish you and your wife & son all the luck in the world!
: Sylvia.

Hi Sylvia! (my new friend!)
I'm checking the board again. To anyone reading this, I think Sylvia is so special, with her outlook, successful relationship with her Greek man, her relationship with his parents is so good too, and the interest and ability to learn several languages and the skill with the English language. Sylvia, you're great! Everyone, take notice and see a person who is open and positive with her relationships! Hugs to Sylvia, who helped me on this board and continues to be my friend!!!! Love, Cessie :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]