Re: Do Americans carry prejudice toward Greek people?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Georgia on January 18, 2001 at 12:04:39:

In Reply to: Do Americans carry prejudice toward Greek people? posted by Melina Christakis on January 17, 2001 at 13:39:09:

Melina,
I don't think Greeks that grew up in the US like myself experienced any prejudice. I was born in 1971. The US is such a multiethnic country. If you lived in a town that was predominantly Asian or Black or Hispanic, you might have felt uncomfortable but I don't think you would have felt effects of prejudice. I grew up in the Jersey City/Bayonne area in New Jersey which is very multi-racial and multi ethnic. Everyone was different so no one really showed any prejudice towards anyone imparticular. Some Greeks on the other hand, from the OLD school do carry some prejudice towards people from certain ethnic backgrounds which I decline to mention because I know from my experience with my own parents and the Greek community I grew up in. Fortunately it hasn't been passed on to me. I look at people for who they are not for their color or ethnicity. But to get back to your question, I don't think Americans carry prejudice towards Greek people. They may stereotype us as diner or restaurant owners but that's about it.
Good Luck with your thesis.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]