Compromise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Calliope on February 06, 2001 at 10:32:58:

In Reply to: Re: Enjoying my freedom as a human being thank you! posted by Tracey on February 06, 2001 at 07:39:35:

With all due respect, I still stand by my post. At my age I doubt that anyone here is not a young lady to me.

I read nothing about compromise or understanding. Whether or not we like it, a partner usually has a family lurking in the background. Sometimes we agree with the family sometimes we do not. The tone of the post was no compromise.

I agree that they as a couple should decide their own destiny. What is disagreeable are the blanket statements about “OLD” ways, old school of thought, wearing black at weddings, and the assumption that all Greeks are dark. These statements show a complete misunderstanding of diversity in the Greek community and tradition vs. modernity. It’s very hard to cross culture lines and I’m sure the Greek family felt just as alienated as she did. I wonder if anything was done to assure them that some part of what they have believed all their lives would be passed on.

There is no easy answer here.

Throwing a little oil on the fire makes for a lively discussion....

Calliope
"Return the Elgin Marbles"

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]