Re: Greek Mafia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Dino on March 05, 2001 at 18:00:07:

In Reply to: Greek Mafia posted by Curious on March 01, 2001 at 09:32:06:

I can't imagine there being a "Greek Mafia".
That idea, at least to me, runs contrary to the Greek's ethnic character. However, I'm not saying that Greeks aren't corrupt; that would be the understatement of the century. From what I've observed in the USA, Greeks tend to like working alone or with immediate family. They present themselves as these naive, fun loving people that wouldn't even hurt a fly, but all the while they are shafting themselves and everybody else behind the scenes. That's why you hardly see non-related Greeks in business together; they know what to expect and just do their thing with foreigners. The Mafia, on the other hand, is more like a gang. It has honor codes, dress codes, provides a sense of belonging etc; It's very name means "refuge" in arabic. Sicilians, being the passionate and stylish people that they still are, did the best they could with what little they had. They did such a good job that now organized crime is "cool", and the whole "mob" style is being pathetically imitated by various other ethnic groups, especially latinos.

: Anybody know anything about the Greek Mafia in America? There's a truckload of books on the Italian Mafia but nothing on the Greek organization.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]