Re: PLEASE HELP ME WITH LAST NAME

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on March 08, 2001 at 00:32:56:

In Reply to: PLEASE HELP ME WITH LAST NAME posted by robyn on March 06, 2001 at 23:48:26:

: I NEED TO FIND A GREEK LAST NAMES THAT HAS 6 LETTERS THE 2ND LETTER IS A (S) AND THE 4TH IS A (m) i JUST FOUND OUT THIS IS MY BIRTH MOTHERS LAST NAME i HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR 13 1/2 YRS. THANK YOU ANY ASSISTANCE WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!

Robyn,

I've given your question alot of thought (and research) and I have come up with the following information for you. Firstly, alot of Greek women's names end with "OU", HOWEVER in many english-speaking countries they may have kept the male version of the last name. (What I'm trying to say is Greek last names have a different ending depending on whether you're a female or a male).

In your research I would therefore begin with names ending with "OU".So you would be looking at a name like "_S_MOU"

Next I would try with the male versions:"_S_MOS", "_S_MAS", "_S_MIS", and even "_S_MES"--because some greeks use an "e" instead of an "i". These endings are the most common.

I came up with the following combinations, and these are all TRUE names because I looked them up on an online Greek phone directory and there are people listed under all of these names:

ASIMOS
ASIMOU
ASIMIS
ISAMIS (more rare)
PSIMAS
PSIMIS (more rare)
PSOMOU
PSOMOS
PSOMAS
PSOMIS (more rare)
TSAMOU
TSAMOS
TSAMAS
TSAMIS
TSEMOU
TSEMOS (not sure if this exists but try)
TSIMOU
TSIMOS
TSIMAS
TSIMIS
TSOMOU
TSOMAS
TSOMIS
TSOMES (more rare)
TSAMPA
TSIMPA
TSOMPA
TSEMPA
TSAMPI
TSIMPI
TSOMPI
TSOMPO (not sure about this one, might be from foreign people living in Greece)

I've noted that some of these names are 'more rare' only because I found that not many people were listed under these names, that is only 1 to 3 people.

REMEMBER, that sometimes those names ending with "IS" could be "ES" in english speaking countries e.g. Australia, England, U.S. etc.

These are quite afew last names -more than I had expected myself to find. So I hope this is what you have been after.

One question: is it possible that after the M (the 4th letter) there could be another 'M', that is "_S_MM_" ? If so then let me know and I'll do another check with this combination. Apart from the above there are really no other combinations that I could think of. Goodluck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]