Re: Why did Orthodox separate from Catholics? -An excellent book I recommend.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on April 19, 2001 at 23:49:02:

In Reply to: Why did Orthodox separate from Catholics? posted by Zaha on April 17, 2001 at 18:25:51:

: Even though my grandpa was Greek Orthodox, I barely know some things about it. Can someone tell me when is it that Orthodox separate from Catholics and which are the main reasons?
: Thanx!
: Zaha

Zaha,

If you want to learn details of the background and history of the Orthodox Church and all the events surrounding the schism I recommend the following book:

"The Orthodox Church" New Edition, by Timothy Ware.
Copyright Timothy Ware (1963, 1964, 1993), 1997.
Published by the Penguin Group (Penguin Books).

ISBN 0 14 01.4656 3

Penguin Books Ltd
27 Wrights Lane,
London w8 5TZ, England.

Penguin Putnam Inc.,
375 Hudson Street, New York,
New York 10014, USA

Penguin books Canada Ltd,
10 Alcorn Avenue, Toronto,
Ontario, Canada M4V 3B2

Penguin Books Australia Ltd,
Ringwood,
Victoria,
Australia.

This is what is printed on the back cover about the book:

"Since it's first publicationn thirty years ago, Timothy Ware's book has become established throughout the English-speaking world as the standard introduction to the Orthodox Church. Orthodoxy continues to be a subject of enormous interest among western christians, and the author believes that an understanding of its standpoint is necessary before the Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches can be reunited. In this newly revised and updated edition he explains the Orthodox views on such widely ranging matters as Ecumenical Councils, sacraments, free will, purgatory, the Papacy and the relation between the different Orthodox Churches.

In Part One he describes the history of the Eastern Church over the last two thousand years with particular reference to its problems in twentieth-century Russia: and in Part Two he explains the beliefs and worship of the Orthodox Church Today. Finally, He considers the possibilities of reunion between East and West. In this latest Edition, he takes full account of the totally new situation confronting Eastern Christians since the collapse of Communism."

It includes excellent information about the Great Schism. I recommend it. And as the above says it is a "standard introduction to the Orthodox church" -"written for the non-Orthodox aswell as for Orthodox Christians who wish to know more about their own tradtion" --(from front cover).

It's a standard paperback book about 360 pages long. In the USA it sells for $14.95.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]