Joanna's suggestions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Mike A. on April 22, 2001 at 15:40:22:

In Reply to: Re: correction for greek project- could anyone help? -Fantastic effort Mike. posted by Joanna on April 22, 2001 at 07:35:52:

Joanna, it is fine that you think my corrections were good. Concerning your suggestions, I fully agree.

I will try to translate the following sentence (although I am sure that YOUR Greek is better than mine ;-):

: I think Vicky's trying to say:
: "Many people believed that she was a natural at her work, as she easily took over her father's business and social responsibilities."
: (I'm also going on this statement from a documentary I saw about her which showed that she was actually a capable businesswoman).

"Πολλοί άνθρωποι νόμισαν πως ήταν γεννημένη για τη δουλειά της, εφόσον ανέλαβε εύκολα τις επιχειρησιακές και κοινωνικές υποχρεώσεις του πατέρα της."

Do you think this translation is o.k.?

: For: 'Λάτρευε την Αθηνά πάρα πολύ, γιατί είχε τελικά κάποιον "που αγάπησε ΚΑΙ που την αγάπησε ΕΠΙΣΗΣ".',

: In english it would be: 'She worshipped Athena very much, because at last she had someone "that she loved and that loved her in return".'

: So, I think it would sound better to say: "που αγαπούσε και που την αγαπούσε πίσω". (Only a suggestion, because I'm taking another view of the phrase. I see it as past continuous rather than past simple).

Joanna, I think with this suggestion you are completely right. The correct use of "aorist" and "paratatikos" is always one of my biggest problems with the Greek langugage.

Mike A.

PS: I will write (in an own posting) the lyrics of a Greek song whose meaning I do not understand. So, Joanna, your interpretation will be welcome (in English or Greek) if you like to do this work.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]