Re: The Pope's visit to Greece -my opinion.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on May 06, 2001 at 00:15:04:

In Reply to: The Pope's visit to Greece posted by Somebody on May 02, 2001 at 14:47:50:

: I realize that most of the people who frequent this board are either Greeks living abroad or people looking for help regarding their homework or recipes or penpals etc. I know that very few of the participants here actually live in Greece and of those who do, are more likely than not, Greek.

: As a non-Greek living in Greece I've been following the reactions of the Greeks regarding the upcoming papal visit. I watch the news and hear Orthodox Christians condemn the Pope and refer to him as the AntiChrist. For weeks now there have been endless debates over whether or not the Pope should come and how he should be received. It amazes me that the Orthodox Church has such strong feelings against the Pope and his visit.

: Perhaps some of you know what I'm talking about and would care to discuss it.

My opinion: The pope visited Greece to finish a pilgrimage which he began -in the footsteps of Christ and the Apostles- and to visit the members of his church. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. I expect the mainly Catholic countries to allow the Greek Patriarchs to also visit their countries if they wish.

However, I do understand the protests against his visit. The Greek Orthodox Church and its members have been terribly hurt and scarred by past Catholic Church actions -headed by popes- both in Constantinople and elsewhere. The Orthodox Church deserved an apology and the asking for forgiveness by the Catholic Church. The protests therefore did make an impression upon the Pope and he did apologise which is fantastic. It was great that the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Greece outlined all the atrocities to him publicly and the pope's response was appropriate.

I think of all the popes this one has been one of the great achievers.

Let's be united in Christian love if not in Church and dogmas. This is what God expects of us. Remember Christ did say to love your neighbour which includes EVERYONE. And even to turn our other cheek to our enemies. And let's not be proud and say Orthodoxy is the best etc etc. To be proud is to be egotistical. BUT for those of us who are Orthodox let's love our Orthodoxy and guard it carefully. It's a treasure.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]