Re: The Pope's visit to Greece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Somebody on May 07, 2001 at 11:23:33:

In Reply to: Re: The Pope's visit to Greece posted by Niko on May 07, 2001 at 05:59:49:

"....But I really don't think that Greeks sit down on a daily basis and say Orthodoxy is the right way."

I don't either. Not the large majority of them, anyway!

"...As for the Greeks not being very European, what does that mean exactly? What are the standards, besides democratic institutions, the respect for human rights, and positive participation in the global community? Is the far-right Austrian Freedom Party and Joerg Haider examples of Europeaness? Is it very European for Germany to give people in Russia german citizenship who can prove that they have german ancestry, when second generation turkish-germans can't even get citizenship, although their grandparents helped rebuild the country? Does europeaness mean being western european, because Greece has always been considered part of Western Europe, although it clearly is not geographically?" It sounds like just because the Greek church did not condone the visit of the Pope Greeks weren't being European. It sounds like your saying that if the host country does not accept the practices of the guest country then they are not acting properly."

I never said that Greeks aren't Europeans, but I have heard Greeks on numerous occasions say that they are as if there's a doubt about it. You bring up examples of what goes on in other European countries and I'm talking about what goes on here. I often watch discussion panel shows on tv and comments are frequently made by politicians/journalists how Greece has to do a better job getting the new airport/Metro/Olympic Games 2004 to run efficiently because Europe/the world is watching/Greece is part of Europe and therefore has to live up to European standards. Then they blame various parties/policies for the problems and delays that inevitably occur. The "Greece is European" sentiment, whether implied or explicitly stated is used as a platform to criticise opposition. Of course, such partisanship is seen everywhere and not just Greece.

"It sounds like just because the Greek church did not condone the visit of the Pope Greeks weren't being European. It sounds like your saying that if the host country does not accept the practices of the guest country then they are not acting properly."

I think it's proper for Christians/a host country to welcome fellow Christians/a guest country, and the Orthodox Church did ultimately do so regardless of the hoopla before the visit. Genuine hospitality requires accepting the guest even if you don't accept his practices, regardless of Europe.

"....The Greek Church did not react so irrationally. They haven't in the past pursued a fervent anti-catholic campaign or demonstrated on the streets of Athens everyday since 1054 when the churches split, to bring the demise of the pope. But since he was entering their space, they did."

It's that concept of "space" and the minority opinion that the Greek president didn't have the right to invite the Pope and all the subsequent controversy that I saw before the Pope's arrival that makes a negative impression on me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]