Re: Ethnic greek?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Greek on May 07, 2001 at 12:11:55:

In Reply to: Ethnic greek? posted by John on May 07, 2001 at 07:57:57:

I'm not sure what your question is, because you never really ask it. But two points.

First, many consider Greeks to fall under the racial category "white" or "caucasion." Others would classify them more narrowly, as "Mediterranean." I would venture to say that in many respects Greeks are more "Middle Eastern" than "Western European," given that the cultural ties between Greece and the Middle East are, in many ways, more prevalent than those between Greeks and Western Europeans.

Second, despite your subject heading, 'ethnic greek?', you really aren't making ethnic classifications. You're making racial classifications. There's a difference. Even if you classify Greeks as "caucasion" with respect to their race, there is no question that they have their own particular ethnic and cultural identity. You may want to be more specific in your question/comments.

Finally, there are a heck of a lot of stereotypes in your message. Not all caucasions look the same. Just because a Greek is blond doesn't mean that she's more readily identified as Western European than as Middle Eastern, for example. Every culture and race has experienced "mixing" over the years, and the Greeks are no exception. There aren't any "pure" races.

: WHAT?
: Greeks to me look like all the other caucasian people, I think greeks are typical whites as all the other Europeans.I think the only exception of non-european blood in Europe, besides the gipsies, are the southern Italians and the southern Spanish and Portuguese that have african and arab blood in their veins. You can notice that seeing many Italians or Spanish with dark skin and strong facial features, all things that greeks lack being pure white europeans!
: BTW I am half greek and half Pakistani, my mother family comes from Larissa and she is blue eyed and blond!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]