Re: Interpretation of the songs (attempted explanation)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Themistokles on May 11, 2001 at 23:46:31:

In Reply to: Interpretation of the songs posted by Mikael on May 09, 2001 at 00:14:30:

: Hi there!
: For a longer I have been fascinated by the songs "O KAIMOS" and "ENA TO XELIDONI". But since I don't know greek (except one occasional word here and there)I have difficulties getting the hang of those songs. Both though seem to have quite a strong emotional meaning. Could anybody help me out with this?
: Thanks! Mikael

Dear Mikael:

Both songs are sung by Grigoris Bithikotsis, one of the most respected "laikos" singers in modern Greece (before the kitschy, ultra-tacky modern greek schlock-fests where the song has become secondary to the spectacle of showing off that you are more capable of throwing away more money at the club than the next guy at your table).

The composer is Mikis Theodorakis, who indeed does inspire passion with his music. The poet who wrote the lyrics to the first song I can't recall but the second I believe is Odysseas Elytes, the (1980?) Nobel Laureate for Literature. I believe that the song is from the epic poem he wrote "Axion Esti" (ie. "It Is Worthy"). By the way, the meaning of the first song's title is "Very deep is (my) lament."

I hope that this helps you somewhat.

Themistokles

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]