Re: Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Elizabeth on July 15, 2001 at 18:11:08:

In Reply to: Re: Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs posted by Come on now... on July 15, 2001 at 13:27:29:

>How can you compare Turkey to Greece??? Turkey >jails & kills people for petty theft of food..ya >know..hungry people!!!(gee..no MAJOR Human >Rights issues going on in this country)

:) And I guess YOU really believe that Greece doesn't have its own very serious human rights problems? Greece may not be killing people for petty theft (I don't know if Turkey actually does that), but it has an elaborate, rich, and corrupt ecclesiastical system poisoning people's minds with fantasies about Orthodoxy, Hellenism, and the "true" Christianity. Rather than trying to move their flock beyond petty bigotries, they fan the flames of ethnic nationalism. It's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. AND...the people are buying into it in the same way ignorant Muslims are often brainwashed by extreme Islamic fundamentalism. Two peas in a pod my friends...two peas in a pod.

>Turkey is not exactly considered the primo >vacation spot...I think there is a good reason..

Turkey isn't considered a prime vacation spot because of misconceptions about the "East", Islam and a lot of negative propaganda. The fact is...more and more people ARE starting to vacation in Turkey. In fact, now that Greece's currency is stablizing...tourism to Turkey is up..simply because it's cheaper.

>I sense there is a deeper issue here with >Elizabeth...perhaps she has had a bad "man" >experience?

Sorry to disappoint you. I'm happily married to a Greek and living in Athens. He shares my views. It's time to move beyond the tired, worn out "All Turks and/or 'Mussalmans' are blank" approach. Intelligent people know that things are never that black and white.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]