Re: Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Elizabeth on July 16, 2001 at 11:34:12:

In Reply to: Re: Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs posted by Victor on July 16, 2001 at 08:45:25:

Victor,

First of all, I'm well acquainted with history.

Second...You appear to be arguing that you are somehow racially, or ethnically pure, while a Turk isn't:

"we Greeks are all part of a nation, and we share a culture and the same origins"

"Turkey is not a nation the way Greece is"

AND

"Turkey has people from so many different countries and of so many religions"

Are you trying to tell me that modern Greeks all share the same ethnic origin? :) Surely you jest. As you just got through telling me...Greece as a MAJOR world power at one time. With that comes religious syncretism, intermarriage etc. Your average modern Greek is no purer racially than your average modern Turk. In fact...is there really such a thing as racial purity? I seem to recall that similar statements were made by Hitler and his idea of an Ayran ideal. In fact...the bulk of your post consisted of telling me how the Greeks are something special more or less..and the Turks are just a motley collection of poor people that smell. Thanks for giving us a perfect example of what I've been seeing here in Greece.

>Greeks are not fanatics.

:) UH...I beg to differ. Your statements sounded vaguely reminiscent of Adolf Hitler and his weird ideas about racial purity. I know that these views aren't only yours...because these noxious ideas are the reason I'm posting here.

>They are very attached to their culture but they >don't go kill somebody because he doesn;t have >the same religion, because she doesn't wear a >veil or because she wasn't circumsized.

Why don't you elaborate....since you seem to know so much. With the possible exception of the crazed Taliban in Afghanistan, who else kills women for not wearing a veil? Maybe you could tell us all. While you're at it...tell us all about who practices female circumcision.

Also..you might do a little research into your own intolerant past:

"Islamic rule, taking over from Byzantine theocracy, extended over populations which were already strongly impregnated with religious
intolerance. The Byzantine state had promulgated numerous discriminatory laws in the administrative, political, religious, and economic sectors. Collaboration with the Muslim invaders having motivated many members of
the Greek ruling classes to convert to Islam, those officials formerly responsible for the implementation of these laws now introduced them
into Islamic legislation. These former Byzantine laws, based on religious dogma,were henceforth integrated into Islamic legislation, now justified by other theological principles. In an ironic twist of history, Islam found--in the
countries which had come under its domination--an outstanding instrument of oppression for the destruction of Christianity, already formulated
and perfected by the Church itself."
(Bat Ye'or, "The Decline of Eastern Christianity: from Jihad to Dhimmitude")

The author of this book, a Jew, is extremely critical of Islam in general...so that makes her comments all the more stinging for Orthodox Christians. Me thinks you need to wake up and smell the coffee....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]