Re: Orthodoxy vs. Ancient Hellenic Religion? (NOT !!!)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Achilles on July 18, 2001 at 22:32:14:

In Reply to: Re: Orthodoxy vs. Ancient Hellenic Religion? (NOT !!!) posted by GS on July 18, 2001 at 12:18:06:

: OK Achileas,

: I'm sorry that i posted the other reply as well. I'm not going to continue this thread since with statements like:

: "Nice advice for a child.no thanks"
: "Are you thinking aloud now?"

: and in general people that use ironic comments that easily I don't like to continue these discussions, because it will take us nowhere.

For a presumably mature man, I found your comments…to be quite condescending and patronizing which resulted in my remarks. I decided to take a similar approach to examine my suspicions and I believe I just proved my point.
By posing some “life-learning” questions as you had earlier projected towards me, the intrusive “advice” that you openly offered (which I did not ask for) I found to be very rude.
Subsequently you have taken the bait and responded predictably.

“Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it friend”

In case you are unsure what I am referring to…

GS wrote:

My advice is believe in yourself and try and get the positives from both cultures. Ie be good as a person and to your neighbour, exercise your body and your spirit, admire and study the ancient philosophers and what they offered to hellenism and humanity together with many people of the church even modern ones, who believe me if you speak to them, they have many things to tell you.
Accept the ancient hellenic religion and Orthodoxy as great parts of hellenic beliefs and tradition in general, both in their own way and in their own time, and don't try to be so negative or so positive about anything. Study both parts of the coin, accept them as part of hellenic tradition in general and be able to draw your own conclusions and don't just stick to words and something you read once or something that somebody said.

: I do not agree in many of your points and that's it.

Of course, as with most discussions involving religion, a heated debate mixed with personal emotions is not uncommon and it is sometimes necessary to understand our personal relationships with one another.

With all the media hype over the years, it seems to be almost a societal taboo to use the word “Jew” in discussions, which automatically appears to have a negative connotation attached to it. Just to keep the peace and try to remain politically correct some changes could have been made. For the sake of argument, it may have been less upsetting and more successful had I referred to Judeo-Christian society as Culture A, Roman society as Culture B and finally Hellenic society as Culture C.

Ultimately by removing these strong emotions connected to these three distinct societies we could remain neutral in our conversations and avoid any unnecessary hostilities.

Achilles

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]