Re: Greek name for my son

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by katerina on September 28, 2001 at 22:21:37:

In Reply to: Re: Greek name for my son posted by katerina on September 28, 2001 at 22:14:35:

: : : I was hoping someone could offer up several greek names for boys that could be easily "Americanized". My other half is English and the baby will already have a very anglo origin middle name and last name, I do NOT want hi first name anything but Greek. I could love so many but he is a little conservative. All the typicals have already been named in my family, Giorgos, Yiannis, Panagiotis, in multiples in fact. Any suggestions???

: : How about Demetrios (Jimmy), Nicholas, Petros (Peter), Vasilios (Basil), Christos (Christopher).
: :

I've always loved the name Symion (there are different ways to spell it). St. Symion was a very old man in the old testement whose position in life was to accept sacrefices at the temple. For example when a child was born the family would bring doves and perhaps other sacrafices to the temple and he would accept the family and the offering and perform the sacrafice. He very much beleived that the son of God was to come and refused to die until he saw him. When Jesus was born, Mary and Joseph went to the temple with their sacrafice. When Symion saw the baby Jesus, he proclaimed that "my eyes have seen" and he was then ready to die. This is a very watered down version of the story, but you can find it in the bible. His nameday is celebrated the beginning of February in the Greek Orthodox church (I think Feb 2nd) and the pronounciation, although fully greek is really not hard for english speaking people. ~just a suggestion, hope it helps ~katerina

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]