Re: The Greek Language

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Sunny on November 29, 2001 at 07:26:43:

In Reply to: Re: The Greek Language posted by Joanna on November 29, 2001 at 01:24:56:

: : In english there is only one word for the word love. However in the Greek Language there are different words for the word love. This IS NOT a lesson in the greek language...this is actually a cry for help. As far as I understand there are four words for the word love. If anyone knows what those words are PLEEEEZ please let me know what they are. I only know of one of the words...close to the spelling of this: Agape; and I don't have the faintest idea what that particular word stands for (meaning friend love, family love, object love, or romance love...please let me know of what goes with what)

: : Thank you for you're help...and if this is the wrong place to go, let me know that too so in the future I won't look like an idiot again.
: : Again I say thanks!

:
: Megan,

: Agape = love

: It has the exact same meaning as that in the English language whether it's romantic love, family love or whatever. You can use it in any sense just like the word "love".

: Another word which I found in my greek dictionary under 'love' is "eros" which I believe is only used for romantic love (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

: Joanna.

You're right Joanna, eros is the romantic/sexual love. Phile is the other love, the friendship love.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]