Re: Greek Sociology (some aditional figures and questions about Greek abortions)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Penny on December 10, 2001 at 21:27:04:

In Reply to: Re: Greek Sociology (some aditional figures and questions about Greek abortions) posted by Themistokles on December 10, 2001 at 19:43:41:

Themistoklis if the figures you cite are from IKA and accurate, then I am truly appalled. On a recent trip to Greece I asked why so many families only had one child each. The reason cited was 'economic', the same as in the rest of Europe. My opinion was that children cost money to bring up but so what? Everything costs money. My sister (who lives in Greece and has 4 children) told me she is considered eccentric for wanting what is considered a 'large' family. Her opinion why most families only have one child is that modern (under 40 yrs old) Greeks, although having many virtues, are also very selfish. The women will have 2 children only if the first is born a girl, then they will have a second to see if they have a boy. I don't know, but it seemed to me that especially in Athens, couples were more interested in furnishing their apartments than giving their single child brothers and sisters.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]