Re: help naming baby

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Basil on December 11, 2001 at 00:02:36:

In Reply to: help naming baby posted by joanna on December 10, 2001 at 22:49:41:

: Actually, we're not sure what we're having yet but I need help with a girls name. We like the name sydney and was wondering if any of you can come up with a Greek name that can be translated to Sydney. To give you an example , my cousin named her baby paraskevi and in English they call her Paris and evi sometimes. thanks for any ideas.

Dear Joanna: Does your child have grandparents ? Are their names unsuitable for your child ? Rather than working backwards by first finding an English name which will, effectively, be the child's name that you seem intent on using, why even bother having a 'Greek' version at all ? Why bother, I ask ? Either you chose a Greek name for a very specific purpose such as continuing a family name (such as the child's grandparent's name) or to hold onto one's Greekness by the thread that is one's name.

As we all know, names often denote continuity, identity with a group, family, clan or belief system. If the purpose is simply 'onomatopoetic' (to convey a thought or emotion simply by the sound of a word), name your child without any consideration to a Greek version which won't be used anyway (except once or twice on the day of the baptism).

Sorry for being a bit blunt. After all, Napoleon, himself (no, I don't have my hand in my chest as I type), spent much of his law-writing time dealing with what is and isn't acceptable in naming one's child. That' why one still cannot give a child a name such as "River" or "Moonbeam" in countries such as France, Spain and other nations where Napoleon's Civil Law ammendments took effect.

Obviously naming your child means a lot to you and your spouse. Therefore, go ahead. Name the child whatever you like. However, in all but a few cases, one can't have their cake (that is, naming a child with a name which simply fits an image that the parents want to convey) and have your cake (providing a Greek name) also.

God bless and may your choice be the best one for all, for you, your family and especially your child. Basil.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]