Re: Ceremonies and Rituals

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Demetrios on June 23, 2000 at 13:45:10:

In Reply to: Ceremonies and Rituals posted by Tony Smith on April 29, 2000 at 01:04:16:

Tony,

The forty day blessing is a reeanctment of Mary's bringing Jesus to the temple on the fortieth day after his birth--The Presentation of Jesus Christ in the Temple. It is a brief service of purification. It is a very beautiful and touching service at which time the mother and child are welcomed back into the church after recovering from childbirth. Our priest has the service at the end of Divine Liturgy.

"A Guide to Greek Traditions and Customs in America" by Marilyn Rouvelas, explains this as She says that in the past some people believed that leaving the house before forty days would bring bad luck. As far as I know, this is not part of "Orthodox belief." It was more of a custom.

As to baptism and whether or not the mother must
have the service, I think you should speak with your parish priest (Orthodox).

: I have few general question regarding the Greek Orthodox religion in particular some rituals which I have yet to understand fully. I am Roman Catholic and my wife is Greek Orthodox.

:
: Why must a mother of a new born wait forty days before re-entering the church?

: Why must a baby not leave the house for forty days?

: After the forty days have passed, what ritual/ceremony must the mother preform to re-enter the church? If the new born is to be christened Catholic, must he or she attend the mother's ceremony?

:
: I would appreciate somebody shedding light on these questions, as I have been getting contradictory responses.

:
: Regards
: Tony Smith

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]