Re: Why do so many intercultural relationships end??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Sylvia on November 08, 2000 at 05:38:18:

In Reply to: Re: Why do so many intercultural relationships end?? posted by ME on November 07, 2000 at 18:18:34:

: : I have been reading the messageboard and found out that alot of relationsships of foreign women with Greek men are either full of problems or they end after a while. I consider myself lucky because I have been married for some years with my Greek husband.
: : Is it because the women have little interest for the language/culture or does it have to do with family. I have some friends who had relationships with Greek men but most of them were "dropped" because the family did not like a nongreek or the men foresaw to many problems in the future.....
: : Pleas can I have your view on this?

: The fact of the matter, as someone has already expressed, is that this "brainwashing" or desire of Greek parents to have their children with Greek partners is NOT limited to Greek people and you generalizations and bashing are thus totally uncalled for. All my friends and co-workers who have parents that are first generation Canadians know exactly about the way that Greek parents are because they experience the EXACT SAME THING. I'm also probably being very unfair in saying that all Greek parents are like that but that is besides the point. The fact is that many people who immigrated to countries within the last 20-30 years want to preserve their culture. I've met people of different backgrounds whose families have totally disowned them for dating/marrying outside of their culture. I'm not saying that what they're doing is right but that some of you should get over your bitterness and look around you so that you can discover that this is quite common and not limited to Greek people.

Joy, you have really started something!! As you can see there is much to tell about intercultural relationships. I agree with "me" that some should get over their bitterness and just go on with life. I have to admit that this was not what I expected from the discussion it would have been interesting if more men reacted and really I am sure there are much more positive stories about inter-culturalrelationships!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]