Re: Greeks and the Ottoman Rule

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Tuba on December 24, 2000 at 14:43:49:

In Reply to: Greeks and the Ottoman Rule posted by Mike on December 18, 2000 at 11:20:31:

: Tell me why Greeks are obsessed by the Turkish Ottoman Occupation.
: I've been in Greece many times, and given a chance almost
: everybody will start lamenting about it with great
: emotion, more than 150 years after its end, sometimes uttering
: the most obvious exaggerations.
: In other countries I haven't come across this behaviour:
: Holland has been occupied by the Spanish and French,
: Spain by the Arabs, Portugal by the French and English,
: Italy by the French, Normans and Arabs, and so on.
: Many of these were probably more brutal and oppresive than
: the Ottoman Empire rule, and yet the people seem to have
: come to terms with this aspect of their history.
: Why havent't the Greeks?

Come now, Southerns in the US still call the Civil War the War of Northern Aggression, the Jews and Aabs have been at each other's throats for 13 centuries, the English and the Irish in Northern Ireland ain't good buddies, the politics of Africa are based on ancient tribale hates. A 1992 UN report said that of the 60 some conflicts ongoing at the time, all but one was based on religion or ethnic differences born of religious difference. We should not be surprised that any two peoples carry animosity over past harms. The goal is to break the cycle. While many are loathe to say so, thye Turks and the Greeks share a common gene pool, but they are separated by incompatible religions The only hopek, I think, is to secularize and build modern reasons to agree rather than old ones to disagree.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]