Re: military service

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Dave on January 17, 2001 at 10:00:03:

In Reply to: Re: military service posted by Panos on January 16, 2001 at 12:57:58:

If the Greek authorities want to stop you leaving the country in order not to "lose you" then presumably they will confiscate your passport; otherwise you could come and go as you please. The best thing would be to check your status with the Greek consulate where you live at present in order to see if there are any special dispensations for citizens legally resident in other countries. Some countries have special dispensations, especially if you are over a certain age; I do not know what the current situation is in Greece.

: Thanks for that. Do you know if they can confiscate your passport etc??

: Panos.

: : You can no doubt enter Greece with a foreign passport but that does not stop you being a Greek citizen. Once in Greece, I think that it is highly unlikely that you can ask the assistance of the consulate of the European Union country whose passport you hold to get you, Greek citizen, out of a mess with the Greek authorities. In Greece you are no longer a foreigner, no matter what documents you use to enter the country. However, under the Schengen Treaty, only random checks at the frontiers are foreseen by States adhering to the Treaty.

: : : Hi,

: : : Does anybody know what happens if you have another European Union passport and haven't done your military service in Greece. How safe is to go back for holidays, can they stop you at the airport with a foreign passport? Thanks in advance.

: : : Panos.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup





Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]