Posted by Theo on January 27, 2001 at 20:01:19:
In Reply to: Anal sex - is it true? posted by IN love with Thespina/Boston on January 25, 2001 at 00:09:41:
: Hi.. I was wondering if it is true that Greek couples practice anal sex as a matter of course. I am not trying to be crude, but I have always heard this, and I'd really like to know if there is any truth to the expression, "going greek".
: Quite seriously, I don't want to offend anyone. I am just hoping to understand what will be expected of me once married. I love my girlfriend and would never dishonor her by asking her this.
: I just am not sure if I really want this for myself.
The fact that you have taken time to bring this question to people who should know, indicates your sincere desire for learning the truth;and that, will always help you to win points with Greeks.
ok, now having said that, let's begin:
1. The use of the word "greek" as a synonym for anal intercourse is very offensive to Greek-Americans who must bear the brunt of their ignorant fellow Americans who use the word in this manner for the purpose of offending.
2. The orgin of the word in this context stems from a period in Greece 500 years before the birth of Christ when it is said, that, homosexuality (and sodomy) were prevalent in the societies of ancient Greek city-states. However,you might be interested to learn that modern-day, cutting-edge academic work challeges the extent to which homosexuality was accepted and practiced at that time.
3.There is NO established institution, or cultural influence in modern Greece (or even Byzantine Greece, for that matter) which promotes, supports or encourages sodomy or homosexuality. In fact the Greek Orthodox church considers sodomy and homosexuality to be a sin, an act against God. Also, keep in mind that 98 percent of the population of Greece are members of this church; they are baptised, taught, pray and learn the church doctrine.(regardless of the crtique some Greeks may offer of their faith,when they get right down to it, they rely upon their faith to help them make sense of themselves, and the world around them)
4. Their is nothing "greek" about anal sex: anal intercourse is done around the world by all types of people. It carries no particular association with any group. It is simply a part of human sexuality for those who enjoy it. It was NOT invented, discovered or perfected by Greeks.
5. The porn industry will use the term "greek" to mean anal and the term "french" to mean oral sex. They are equally devoid of the truth. (and i'm sure the french don't much like it either)
6. Of course i do not pretend to know the particular sexual prefrences of your girlfriend; however, any real Greek girl I know would punch me in the mouth if I tried it on her.(as would most girls regardless of ethnicity)
7. Final fact: Greece currently has one of the highest birthrates of all European nations with 10.56 births for every 1,000 people. So clearly the Greeks aren't even doing it the greek way.....
Post a Followup