Re: Marrying a Greek

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Melyssa on February 08, 2001 at 18:12:18:

In Reply to: Re: Marrying a Greek posted by Emmanuel Lazidis on January 21, 2000 at 23:51:44:

My husband is Greek. We both found it a bit silly that the Greek Orthadox and the Catholic church for that matter viewed a Lutheran Marrying a Greek in such a negative light. Further we both have a problem with me, the Lutheran, not being able to take communion in the Greek Church.

We wanted to be married in the Greek church for his family. This was very important to his aging mother.

So to get around this problem, we got married by a judge about 2 weeks before the church wedding and just gave the Priest our civil license. There is still paperwork that must be filed with the Greek Church and there is usually a 6 week turn around.

Once they found out we were already married, they all the sudden had no trouble with me being Lutheran!

Further, they gave me a hard time about being baptised in an Inter-Denominational Church!

: Q:
: Is it even possible to marry a Greek and have the marriage recognized in the church? My boyfriend is Greek and he told me that if we did get married that it wouldn't be recognized by the Greek Orthodox church since I am a Catholic. Is this correct?

: A:
: Traditionally?, yes that is correct.
: The same way Catholics have the same rule about "outsiders".
: But in this day and age where the Greek Orthodox gospel is also done in the English language, it seems that "tradition" is just an excuse to avoid marriage. (I'm not implying anything here).
: So, to answer your question, yes you can be married in the Greek Orthodox church and it will be considered valid provided that you are Christian and you get married *in* (and I stress the word "in") the Greek Orthodox church. You need proof of baptism (get a baptismal certificate. If you can't get proof that you are a baptized Christian you need to get baptized (again). Also your children (if any are to be created after the matrimony) must be raised Greek Orthodox Christians.

: Keep in mind however, *your* church (Catholic) will not consider your marriage valid.
: In the name of the decision, the decision, and the holy decision...
: Can't we all just get along?

: - E

:
: : Is it even possible to marry a Greek and have the marriage recognized in the church? My boyfriend is Greek and he told me that if we did get married that it wouldn't be recognized by the Greek Orthodox church since I am a Catholic. Is this correct?

: : Im an Australian hoping to marry an Orthodox Greek. I always dreamed of having a lovely wedding in a park. Does anyone know if it is possible for a Orthodox Priest to marry 2 people outside of the church?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]