Re: Right and Left in the Greek Language

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Dr. Evan Arcas on February 20, 2001 at 02:40:44:

In Reply to: Re: Right and Left in the Greek Language posted by themisd on September 30, 2000 at 16:46:34:

: From Ancient times the left thought to be the unlucky side. In New Testament the word left "aristera" is mentioned as "ex euonimon", which is translated to "the side that is next to the good side".

I want to assure you that it is a superstition that has its roots in the majority of the population that is right-handed. Furthermore in the New Testament "aristera" have also the meaning of "hell". You have to take into account also the notion that Eve has offered the to Adam the apple with her left hand!

I am not religious person, but I have study Theology and Greek philosophy in the original Greek. I will be happy to discuss these matters if you have an interest to continue.

Regards
EA

: : Can anyone help me with the religious meaning of right and left in Greek? I am seeking more than right is thexia, and left is aristera. I am talking about the fact that right has other meanings, including why the wedding band is worn on the right hand, not just because the priest puts it there. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

: I believe it is related to the honourable position that is referred to in the New Testament in which Christ says to the thief (repentant one) on the cross that "Today, you will be with me at the right side fo the father."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]