Re: Orthodox people marrying Catholic people

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by JP on March 04, 2001 at 21:32:17:

In Reply to: Re: Orthodox people marrying Catholic people posted by Demetrios G. Tsikalas on March 18, 2000 at 19:11:38:

: : I have read some information regarding The Orthodox
: : marrying Catholics. It has been established that a catholic can marry an orthodox in Orthodox church.

: : The other issue that I have seen being discussed is whether the Catholic church will recognize the marraige of
: : of the couple in the orthodox church.
: : It turns out that the marriage can be recognized in two ways.
: : A person can ask their Bishop for permission to marry in an orthodox church or a Catholic
: : priest can come to the Orthodox church and perform the service with the Orthodox priest.
: : The Catholic church recognizes the marriage of any two non-catholic baptized people.
I (GO) have been maried to a Catholic for 13 years so I am familiar with this.
The RC recognise GO marriages
The GO do NOT recognise RC Marriages
Communion is NOT interdenominational
The answer?
GO mariage with the RC (if no conversion is desired) to undergo "chrismation".
Raise the kids GO as the RC are more flexible and not be as dogmatic

: : Note: nobody has to promise to raise the children as Orthodox or Catholic in either of the churches.

: : So all of you devoute Catholics out there or anyone who does not wish to part with their own cultur does not have to and
: : you don't seem to have to worry about being excommunicated.

: : another issue that I have seen raised is to what extent a Catholic can participate in the greek sacraments.
: : It seems, but I am not sure that a catholic can take communion and participate in other rituals. I am not sure so you have to
: : ask a priest and do some reading if this concerns you.
: : From what I have read, An Orthodox person can't take communion in a Catholic Church.

: : For more information do a search for Catholic and follow the marriage links

: : Also, Here is a web-site which has the Catholic encyclopedia
: : online regarding the sacrament of marriage
: : www.newadvent.org/cathen/09709a.htm
: : the site on the marraige rite. the actual ceremony
: : www.newadvent.org/cathen/09703b.htm

: : I have read some information regarding Greek Orthodox

:
: I believe some of your information is incorrect.

: 1. The Roman Catholic Church allows the Orthodox to receive the Eucharist. On the inside cover of the missals in most RC churchs, it explains who can and cannot receive Holy Communion.

: HOWEVER, while the RC Church allows this, the Orthodox Churches have not agreed and their members are NOT to receive Holy Communion in Roman Catholic churches.

: Also, Roman Catholics are NOT supposed to receive Holy Communion in Orthodox churches.

: 2. Regarding marriage, it is my understanding that the Roman Catholic Church recognizes an Orthodox marriage. The Orthodox, however, do not recognize a Roman Catholic marriage.

: This stems from different understandings of the mystery. The Roman Catholic Church (and most Western Churches') understand marriage as the couple marrying each other. Christ, through the priest, is a witness to this action.

: The Orthodox, on the other hand, believe it is indeed Christ who unites the couple through the priest.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]