Re: BABY NAME CRISIS! HELP!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Mihalis on March 06, 2001 at 08:09:14:

In Reply to: Re: BABY NAME CRISIS! HELP! posted by Bill on March 04, 2001 at 21:57:38:

Vasili-

With a long Greek last name that most people cannot pronounce, we promised ourselves that our children would have reasonably short first names, so that they would at least not have to go through the discrimination with a difficult first name. My mother-in-law is not Greek nor does she want us using her name. In our tradition, my mother's name will be given to the second daughter and not the first.

I can understand your love for "Greekness" and the fact that it would be nice if our Greek names were not so inherently foreign to people. I did not post here looking for someone to give me a lesson in the Greek culture, I posted for a variant on "Nikoletta". "Elpitha" and "Hope" ARE the same thing...just in a different language. A rose is a rose is a rose......

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]