Re: PLEASE HELP ME WITH LAST NAME

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Cessie on March 12, 2001 at 10:49:09:

In Reply to: Re: PLEASE HELP ME WITH LAST NAME posted by Joanna on March 08, 2001 at 00:32:56:

Joanna, I just want to say that while reading your answer, I was so impressed with your kindness that you would take the time to try and help someone like this!

: : I NEED TO FIND A GREEK LAST NAMES THAT HAS 6 LETTERS THE 2ND LETTER IS A (S) AND THE 4TH IS A (m) i JUST FOUND OUT THIS IS MY BIRTH MOTHERS LAST NAME i HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR 13 1/2 YRS. THANK YOU ANY ASSISTANCE WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!

: Robyn,

: I've given your question alot of thought (and research) and I have come up with the following information for you. Firstly, alot of Greek women's names end with "OU", HOWEVER in many english-speaking countries they may have kept the male version of the last name. (What I'm trying to say is Greek last names have a different ending depending on whether you're a female or a male).

: In your research I would therefore begin with names ending with "OU".So you would be looking at a name like "_S_MOU"

: Next I would try with the male versions:"_S_MOS", "_S_MAS", "_S_MIS", and even "_S_MES"--because some greeks use an "e" instead of an "i". These endings are the most common.

: I came up with the following combinations, and these are all TRUE names because I looked them up on an online Greek phone directory and there are people listed under all of these names:

: ASIMOS
: ASIMOU
: ASIMIS
: ISAMIS (more rare)
: PSIMAS
: PSIMIS (more rare)
: PSOMOU
: PSOMOS
: PSOMAS
: PSOMIS (more rare)
: TSAMOU
: TSAMOS
: TSAMAS
: TSAMIS
: TSEMOU
: TSEMOS (not sure if this exists but try)
: TSIMOU
: TSIMOS
: TSIMAS
: TSIMIS
: TSOMOU
: TSOMAS
: TSOMIS
: TSOMES (more rare)
: TSAMPA
: TSIMPA
: TSOMPA
: TSEMPA
: TSAMPI
: TSIMPI
: TSOMPI
: TSOMPO (not sure about this one, might be from foreign people living in Greece)

: I've noted that some of these names are 'more rare' only because I found that not many people were listed under these names, that is only 1 to 3 people.

: REMEMBER, that sometimes those names ending with "IS" could be "ES" in english speaking countries e.g. Australia, England, U.S. etc.

: These are quite afew last names -more than I had expected myself to find. So I hope this is what you have been after.

: One question: is it possible that after the M (the 4th letter) there could be another 'M', that is "_S_MM_" ? If so then let me know and I'll do another check with this combination. Apart from the above there are really no other combinations that I could think of. Goodluck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]