Re: Why did Orthodox separate from Catholics?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Panayiota on April 19, 2001 at 23:18:35:

In Reply to: Re: Why did Orthodox separate from Catholics? posted by Tinsel on April 18, 2001 at 14:07:42:

Tinsel -- an excellent commentary! You thought of many things that I forgot to mention and also many things that I did not know. Thanks for adding to the thread!

Let me add that it's interesting that you mention both the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of Mary. Did you know that these are the ONLY doctrines that the Pope at the time declared infalible? A lot of people think that the Pope is "always" infaliable, but themore exact concept is that he can proclaim a certain doctrine to be infaliable. And it's these two Mary doctrines that this was actually done for (of course, we Catholics tend to be Mary happy ;) ).

The new controversy in the Catholic church is whether or not the Pope will infalibly declare Mary to be co-matrix and co-redeemmer. He's very much a Marion pope, and he might do it, but I believe as much as he would like to, he's also very conservative and a traditionalist, and I also think, if he was going to do so, he would have done so already.

Also, many Orthodox leaders have said this would further divide the two churches and destroy a lot of hard work on euchemicalism that has been going on between the East and the West within the last few years. The Pope believes in the validity of the Eastern Church (he has called the West and East like two lungs, who must co-exist and work together in one body). So, I don't think he will do this (and personally, I think I prefer that he not do so). I need to ask my fellow Byzantine Catholics how they feel about that...

One more note: just something I've read about reagarding the dormition of Mary in a VERY good book I have call "A Guide To Greek Traditions and Customs in American" (on sale through Amazon):
While the Orthodox do not officially believe in the assumption, it says that some do personally. I believe the author notes a long standing story about one of the apostles (Thomas?) finding her tomb to be empty after her death. Any thoughts on that, Tinsel, or knowledge of this story?

Thanks again for the information!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]