Re: Searching For Nicolau Family

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Mrs. Shirley Martin on June 04, 2001 at 06:05:21:

In Reply to: Re: Searching For Nicolau Family posted by Joanna on April 22, 2001 at 06:20:43:

: : My Grandfather, Constantine Nicolau, was born on Syros on 25th December, 1885, & he had two brothers, David & George. My Grandfather travelled to England when he was about fourteen, staying for two years, & changing his surname to Nicholas. He then sailed to Adelaide, Australia, where he married Eva Salloway & had seven children. Constantine's brother, George, visited the family in Australia, on his way to a life in America. Nothing is known of David. A few years ago, family was traced living in Laurion,Athens, but there the trail goes cold. The family records were destroyed when the church on Syros was bombed during World War 2. Could someone kindly assist me in my search for lost relatives?.

: Mrs Martin,

: I'm not sure what you quite mean when you say the "trail went cold". You see, I looked up the last name "Nikolaou" (in greek the name ends with 'ou' not just 'u') on an online greek phone directory and I came up with quite afew people of that last name living in Laurio (same as Laurion. Although, actually pronounced as Lavrio). Perhaps you have already found these people (which may be the distant relatives you're after). Nevertheless, I have listed them below in both English and Greek.

: [note that the phone directory gave the first name as an abbreviation so I could not tell if the person was male and female -for most of the names- so I've put down both versions (male/female). Usually a name ending with 'OU' is designated for females and for males it's 'OS' -of course depending on the name- but I believe in this case that "Nikolaou" is for both males and females.]

: I found this online telephone directory on the website:

: http://greekfamilies.com

: This website is dedicated to greek genealogical research and has it's own message board and other useful information and links.

: Goodluck with your research.

:
: name (last, first):NIKOLAOU, ATHANASIOS/ATHANASIA
: street and number: LEIVADAROU 1
: town: LAYRIO [the 'Y'='U']
: phone: +30 292 23845

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ ΑΘΑΝΑΣΙΟΣ
: ΛΕΙΒΑΔΑΡΟΥ 1
: ΛΑΥΡΙΟ

:
: NIKOLAOU, ANATOLIOS
: KATSAROU STRAVONOS
: LAYRIO
: +30 292 60294

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΑΝΑΤΟΛΙΟΣ
: ΚΑΤΣΑΡΟΥ - ΣΤΡΑΒΩΝΟΣ

:
: NIKOLAOU, CHRISTOS/CHRISTINA
: PALAIOKAMARIZA
: +30 292 60464

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΧΡΗΣΤΟΣ/ΧΡΗΣΤΙΝΑ
: ΠΑΛΑΙΟΚΑΜΑΡΙΖΑ

:
: NIKOLAOU, DIMITRIOS/DIMITRA
: MENTI 18
: +30 292 60446

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΣ/ΔΗΜΗΤΡΑ
: ΜΕΝΤΗ 18

:
: NIKOLAOU, DIMITRIOS/DIMITRA
: CHATZIGNATIADOU 20
: +30 292 26737

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΣ/ΔΗΜΗΤΡΑ
: ΧΑΤΖΗΓΝΑΤΙΑΔΟΥ 20
:

: NIKOLAOU, MICHAEL/MICHAELA
: PSARROU 30
: +30 292 23279

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΜΙΧΑΗΛ/ΜΙΧΑΗΛΑ
: ΨΑΡΡΟΥ 30

:
: NIKOLAOU, MINAS
: LIMANI PASSA
: +30 292 22622
: (tavern) +30 292 24449

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΜΗΝΑΣ
: ΛΙΜΑΝΙ ΠΑΣΣΑ
:

: NIKOLAOU, MINAS
: (welder)
: AGIOS GERASIMOS
: +30 292 23570

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΜΗΝΑΣ
: ΑΓΙΟΣ ΓΕΡΑΣΙΜΟΣ

:
: NIKOLAOU, SOFIA (female)
: AGIOS KONSTANTINOS
: +30 292 26982

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΣΟΦΙΑ
: ΑΓΙΟΣ ΚΩΝΣΤΑΝΤΙΝΟΣ
:

: NIKOLAOU, STYLIANOS (male)
: MITROPOULOU 30
: +30 292 25723

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΣΤΥΛΙΑΝΟΣ
: ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟΥΛΟΥ 30

:
: NIKOLAOU, STYLIANOS
: KOUNTOURIOTOU 1
: +30 292 28133

: ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ, ΣΤΥΛΙΑΝΟΣ
: ΚΟΥΝΤΟΥΡΙΩΤΟΥ 1

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]