Re: 2 Wedding Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on June 07, 2001 at 22:32:37:

In Reply to: 2 Wedding Questions posted by Maria A. on June 07, 2001 at 21:13:14:

: Do you have to have both a koumbaro and a koumbara in a Greek wedding?
: I don't have a close Greek female friend for the koumbara , but my fiance does have
: a koumbaro in mind. So, I want my American friend to be the Maid of Honor and
: not have a koumbara. So, I will have a koumbaro, a maid of honor and a best men.
: Is it ok to do that?

: Also, I'm looking for some good Greek songs for the 1st dance, the father/daughter and
: mother/son dances. Any suggestions??

Maria,

First I'll clarify the terms "koumbaro" and "koumbara". In the context of a wedding:

koumbaro = bestman (that is, male)
koumbara = bestwoman (female)

The koumbaro or koumbara is the one who will do the exchanging of crowns and rings during the wedding ceremony. So in answer to your first question you don't have both, just one be they a koumbaro or koumbara.

From my own experience, you can also have a maid of honour (not a koumbara). But she will not participate in any special way during the ceremony. Only one person can do that and that's the koumbaro/koumbara -in your case the koumbaro (best man). Your maid of honour will be like one of the bridesmaids. If you want, you can have her (the maid of honour) holding your bridal train when you circle the table during the ceremony (ie during Isaiah's dance).

Therefore you will have a Koumbaro (bestman) and a maid of honour.

I don't know of any good songs for the dances so I hope others on this board may help you in regards to that.

All the best!

Joanna.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]