Marrying into a Greek family

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Paul H on June 18, 2001 at 07:24:20:

Just another viewpoint.
As an Englishman (well Yorkshireman actually)who has been married to a Greek girl for some 28 odd years now I have some insight into some of the problems. First off I acknowledge its easier our way around than where the male is a Greek. I also had very easy going parents in law. We lived in England , they were in Greece so we were able to develop our own family without interference. It did take about 10 years for the brothers to accept me as their equal. When I was on holiday there I would be told what I could wear and what cafe's I could be seen in (politics!). I spoke Greek like a child so I was treated much like a child even at 30. I was not allowed to walk with my older brother in law at the pedemestria. I took it because they lived there and I only visted but gradually things came around and I am very much an equal part of the whole extended family now right down to second cousins.
In essence marrying into a Greek family was the best thing that ever happened to me, yes there were frustrations and problems but all of them worth enduring.
I'll let you know how the second 28 years go (actually living in Greece) when I get to 78.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]