Re: Has anyone read Captain Corelli's mandolin?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by GS on June 21, 2001 at 07:32:27:

In Reply to: Has anyone read Captain Corelli's mandolin? posted by Vasilia on June 21, 2001 at 02:55:29:

Hi there,

I haven't read the whole book only parts of it, but I 've watched the movie. I must say that the movie does not mention a lot about the war, there are no scenes of the campain in Albania etc. It mainly concentrates on the love story around the Island and only that. There is no mention of blame of any sort to the left-wing partizans as I've heard there is in the book (except a small scene when they hang a young girl because they believe she slept with a German officer).

In general the director has chosen an easy way out of not mentioning anything that could stir any bad comments from any side and that seems to work.
The whole film finally appears as a sloppy love movie in times of war-Holywood style, but it's done really well, it shows the beuty of the island and the people and puts Greece back in the centre of international cinematography after many many years.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]