Re: Greek Orthodox Cult?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Nikos on July 28, 2001 at 03:22:07:

In Reply to: Re: Greek Orthodox Cult? posted by Achilles on July 27, 2001 at 20:00:43:

I think this center is a great idea. We should not limit Greeks and non-Greeks in their attempts to learn about ANY aspect of Greek and Cypriot culture. We will only discourage people from learning about our past, present, and future if we tell them they can only study Hellenism through a Orthodox Christian lens.

Nikos

: I posted the topic of “Orthodoxy vs. Hellenism” in an attempt to gather some statistical data for a new project in the making. A group of us here in Vancouver, BC has gathered to develop a physical locale where members of the community could have a new and different experience. Our concept is quite different from the mainstream of Greek community centres.

: The Centre will be a Hellenic revivalist organization with the intent of reviving the Ancient Ways for practice in the present based on genealogical lineage, and academic research.

: We believe that it is time for modern Greeks to reconnect with their ancestral roots.

: Some people will develop a strong interest in the old religion, while others like me have more of a cultural and financial interest in the organization.

:
: Presently there seem to be two groups available to the public.

: 1- The Greek Orthodox community
: 2- The Greek community

:
: Our aim is to create an alternative for Greeks and non-Greeks who may want to explore traditional Hellenism.

: You see Elizabeth, when word got out in the Greek community that a traditional Hellenic Temple might be erected, we received a lot of resistance from Orthodox Christians. It seems that we pose a threat to the Greek Orthodox community on many different levels.
: However, we believe that there are many Greeks out there who would be very welcoming to our ideas.

: A reference to your comment on tribal thinking; I feel this next statement best describes our motives.

: “In traditional tribal thinking, there is no separation between art and life or between what is beautiful and what is functional. Art, beauty, spirituality are so firmly intertwined in the routine of living that no words are needed, or allowed, to separate them.”

:
: Achilles

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]