Re: The Best Greeks are the Turks. (?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Mikos on August 13, 2001 at 19:42:19:

In Reply to: Re: The Best Greeks are the Turks. (?) posted by Ellen on August 02, 2001 at 05:31:46:

Quite interesting Ellen. But, you're sadly mistaken if you think that Turkey is more of a global player than Ellas. Neither country is all that relevant in the world scene. But good Greek hating-keep it up, it gives us our motivation.

Greek Luv

: I don't know what is the context of the statement "The Best Greeks are the Turks".
: Is it supposed to be serious, ironic, provocative, and what aspect of the Greeks are
: the Turks supposed to be best at? Without more info all I can do is take the
: sentence at face value, leaving it rather meaningless to me. What I can say is that I
: wholly disagree with your discussion.

: Why do you imply that Greece *should* be expected to play any role in Asia minor?
: Let's face it: the Turks conclusively beat the Byzantines more than 500 years ago,
: so just as the Greeks may be seen as the inheritors of the Eastern Roman Empire,
: so the Turks are the inheritors of the Byzantine power. Ever since 1453 (and even
: before) the Turks are the major local power, and Greece has been a bit player. It's
: like claiming that the Spanish should really be expected to play the role of global
: super power, as Spain was the most powerful nation on earth in the 15th & 16th
: centuries. Don't have any illusions that outside of Greece anybody sees the Greeks
: as heirs to asia minor influence: you have to move on, the rest of the world does.

: And now the really good part: Do you honestly believe that *most* Turks are
: descendent from Greeks? I guess this is a case of: "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em."
: Get real.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]