Re: Hoping to get along with my Greek in-laws-Lay off Liza. You are quite tiresome to listen to.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Liza on August 20, 2001 at 05:24:32:

In Reply to: Re: Hoping to get along with my Greek in-laws-Lay off Liza. You are quite tiresome to listen to. posted by L.K. on August 19, 2001 at 23:56:26:

: Hey Liza,

:
: Relax sister. You appear to be a hate-filled person who's missed the point of Themistokles trying to provide 'shy-boy' with exactly what he asked. You are so biased in your opinions against Orthodoxy that the value of what you say is virtually meaningless. Remember poor old Oscar Wilde's admonitioni that a "cynic is a person who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." I'm afraid your single-mindedness against anything Orthodox and your abject generalizations betrays ignorance of this original of Christian faiths (perhaps you are a devout member of a Christian faith group (or non-Christian organization) which is in strong opposition to Orthodoxy because of what it offers to the world. With deep regret, I must say that you appear to be the most patronizing person ever to have visited this wonderful web-board. I am a convert to Orthodoxy, having first studied every hue of Protestantism that I could examine. Incidentally, I'm a professor of Medicine in a university in central Canada, just in case you will call me ignorant as well. And no, I'm not Greek, although the two individuals who helped me guide me into Orthodoxy were Romanian and Russian. If you would like, Liza, I could post some potentially useful literature regarding the value of Orthodox Christianity for you as well.

: In Christ,

: L. K.

L.K.,

As I stated before...I am not a Christian. I am also not a member of any anti-Orthodox group. I am an American..married to a Greek Catholic (also a non-believer. We consider ourselves monotheists.). I am only reporting on the situation here in Greece. I am not making any theological statements against Orthodoxy. (I happen to believe that Orthodox theology makes more sense than Protestant or Catholic theology. And yes...I know the difference.) I am responding to the extremly nationalistic tone Orthodoxy has adopted here in Greece...and in the Balkans in general. If you are a Canadian convert to Orthodoxy...you probably don't understand what I am talking about. You most likely converted to Orthodoxy as a *believer*. That's great. Why should I have a problem with that? I'm speaking about the majority of people here who profess Orthodoxy, link it to exremely ethnocentric and nationalistic ideas...yet know VERY little about the Bible and Christianity. (That little exchange I posted actually took place and is quite common) This is a very real problem. If Orthodox converts in other countries don't know about it...they should. I just had a woman yesterday try to tell me that Jesus was Greek, that the Jewish God is a different God...one of hate. Obviously only someone with zero knowledge of the Bible and Christianity could make such a weird statement. Yet...she proudly proclaimed her Christian beliefs...and her Orthodoxy. I've encounted many such people here. I GUARANTEE....if you were here to see this you as a believer would find this very, very disturbing.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]