Re: Repatriating from US to back Greece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Markos on August 21, 2001 at 14:34:14:

In Reply to: Repatriating from US to back Greece posted by Manolis on August 08, 2001 at 09:14:40:

Geia soy Manolis !

I am 32 years old and returned back to Greece 1,5 years ago. Believe me it was not easy. I grew up in Holland, have lived in America, The Bahamas, Germany and Belgium. Life in the west is totally different. As I started up my own business it was even more difficult to work along side the greek authorities. I have not even mentioned military sertvice yet ...... Anyway I will do what I must do. Returning was for me my dream since I was 18 years old. All my greek relatives tried to persuede me not to go, as they always said: the hole which is in the street in front of our house 10 years ago is still there and no one cares about it. Well, now almost 12 years later it is still there, if you know what I mean. I must atmit that all my relatives made their fortunes in the west and money is their only goal. I made my fortune and returned, that was my goal ..... Life in Greece is tough BUT the quality of life is far greater then I ever experienced in my life .....

I hope you will make the right decision.

Kali tixi !

Markos

: I would like to hear from Greeks in the US or Canada who are thinking about moving to Greece or have moved permanently to Greece. I just would like to hear their experiences, the hardships that they faced, and whether or not they felt like it was worth it or not. My family moved to the US when I was 12, and the older that I get, the more discouraged I get about how the Greeks are in the US, the gradual loss of culture,language & heritage and just the whole of American society and how materialistic it is. I am 25 right now. It's all about the dollar here - not that money is not important in Greece, but its different over there. Every time I go back to Greece in the summers, I feel like a different person, like I belong there, and that everyone understands me and who I am. And that's just not because of the summer good times there...I am talking about the people. Anybody else with similar experiences and feelings? You are probably wondering why have I not moved there yet....well for a number of reasons that I won't get into here. I would love to hear what you have to say.

: Thanks,
: Manolis

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]