Re: Bank note from Skopje

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Pericles on October 11, 2001 at 10:30:56:

In Reply to: Re: Bank note from Skopje posted by Bill on September 29, 2001 at 10:10:57:

: : : I have seen a bank note from Skopje (FYROM) with the White Tower of Thessaloniki on it. What does it mean? We lost Constatinopoli, Smyrni, Vorio Epiros, Cyprus... Thessaloniki the next?

: : Pericles,

: : I think I've heard about that too. I think it's part of their "great idea" of a "greater Macedonia". That is, it's propaganda. I call it "pseudo-Macedonia". But it's never going to happen. We are far more stronger and influential. They can carry on about themselves being "Macedonians" all they like but history including archaelogical evidence stands up for itself. From what I know they are basically Bulgarians.

: Sorry Sweetie..but you are wrong..must be all that "Greek" history you've been taught.. Macedonians are Macedonians, and Bulgarians are Bulgarian.. If you knew anything about "Real" history Aegean Macedonia(now northern Greece) had Macedonian named towns, villages, churches, and cemetaries(with Macedonian names on the headstones) until the greeks decided to Hellenize the region(Banning the Macedonian language, destroying or renaming churches, desecrating cemetaries..the list goes on..Oh by the way..during the Smyrna campaign where do you think the asiatic greek population was settled?? ATHENS? Hardly..in Macedonia..you bet! So the Prosfegi of Macedonia..are not Macedonians.

:
: No ethnic group is ethnically pure..but to tell someone else what they can and cannot be is pure BS.

: Yiasas

Alexander, Philip, Makedonia, Thessaloniki, etc... are all names of greek origin not slavian.
Ancient Macedonians didn't speak a slavonic languague but only greek. They believed in the same gods than the other greeks. Therefore ancient Macedonians WERE greeks.

The people of the FYROM is a people of slav descent which arrived in the area in the VII century. They speak a language which is very close to bulgarian. Even their names are slav names. There is no connections between ancient Macedonians and the people of FYROM. By taking the name ¨Macedonia¨ they are referring to the great history of the ancient Macedonia which is part of hellenism.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]