Re: History question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Dina on November 20, 2001 at 19:08:43:

In Reply to: History question posted by Jeanne Papanastasiou on October 29, 2001 at 07:51:17:

Sorry it's taken so long to get a response Jeanne, but I don't drop into this site too often. For the best representations of 14th century costume, go to visual representations of the various Byzantine emperors and their courtiers. There are not too many images remaining, but you could widen the search by researching early renaissance painting of Italy - especially of men of Venice (there were many trade and military links between Byzantium and Venice). Also, costume for Greeks, especially the wealthy, did not change every season as it does nowadays. So if you find a reasonable image of a 12th century courtier, then that should be a very good guide. I've studied Byzantine art and I recall a small painting of the Emperor John Comnenus (late 11th century) and it seems that costume between the era of Justinian and John Comnenus didn't change that much at all. Research Byzantine paintings and you'll get an overall impression.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]