Re: Racist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by mike on December 07, 2001 at 04:35:59:

In Reply to: Racist posted by Dina on November 21, 2001 at 16:12:42:

: I wasn't romanticising a classical past - and 'culture' as you have it, if you bother to analyse it, is a constituency of ideas, beliefs and concepts before it's expressed as practice, or 'culture'. As for 'western influence', go educate yourself, especially about the originis of ideas (from mathematics to aesthetics to philisophy to what ever you wish) and in that you'll see a huge element of what was Hellene. As for contemporary Greece, my point is that there is still a whisper of original Greek fire in the place and people, and I'm glad of that. I have to add this though, there is a characteristic amongst some modern Greeks, both in Greece and amongst the diaspora, of self-contempt and self-loathing. I don't get it, the first to character-assassinate Greeks is usually a Greek. Is this from accepting an anglicised-coloniast view of yourself? That is, have you accepted a second-class vision of yourself as Greek because you're so saturated with an anglicised view of what is 'good' and 'proper'. And finally, regarding the view of women being 'second-class' citizens in Greece, guess what, I'm a woman and am not treated as 'second-class' in Greece, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'm treated as 'second-class' as a Greek female in any angliced culture I've lived and worked in. I pity you, you have adopted angliced racist views of yourself - which is fine if you enjoy hating your core, but don't spread your racist poison to other Greeks or to Greece itself.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]