Re: women wearing pants in church (why not?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Tina on February 12, 2002 at 18:01:06:

In Reply to: women wearing pants in church (why not?) posted by nick on February 02, 2002 at 18:57:50:

Nick, I find your question very interesting & logical at that. I am Greek & was born here in the US. However, on our vacations in Greece, my family & I often visit many churches & monastaries. Some will not comment on dress code while others provide robes/gowns that you must put on before entering. These are usually the monastaries. Like you, I never understood the concept. I asked my parents this same question after reading your post & came to find out that: In the old days it was a matter of who was in charge; who worn the pants in the family. Yes it was a matter of chauvinism. Some churches now have come to see that it doesn't matter what you wear as long as it is appropriate. In other churches they frown upon women wearing pants. This is not so much the church but the poeple who go to the church; the community in other words. The idea behind this is that you can wear pants any day of the week. To come to church, a holy place, a place of worship, you need to come very professionally and appropriately dressed. Again keeping that same idea in mind that men are men and they wear the pants and that women are women and they must wear the dresses/skirts. I know it doesnt make sense & it may not answer your question but I hope it helps some.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]