DC Greeks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by christi on February 25, 2002 at 14:29:06:

I recently moved to washington, DC and was wondering if there was a large Greek community in this area. I'm originally from the northern NJ where we have Greek immigrants and a huge population of first-generation americans, and where so many Greeks only engage in exclusively Greek social circles, which at times can be very frustrating, especially since I'm not the type to make anyone feel isolated or unwelcome. Anyway, I went to this church in northern VA (just outside DC) and was pleasantly surprised to find the priest spoke the entire liturgy in English-and the members of the church were not all Greek--I saw quite a few non-Greeks and even a few African-Americans. I love the idea of the Greek community opening up to embrace the other groups around them. One of the church board members told me that the majority of the Greek families that attend this church and many Greeks in the DC area are thrid- and fourth-generation. actually a good portion of the church i attended did not speak Greek fluently

Any ideas on why two big metro areas (NY and DC) are so different? i feel like DC is so much further removed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]