Re: baby boy name

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Shelly on March 20, 2002 at 16:29:34:

In Reply to: baby boy name posted by donna on February 14, 2002 at 20:45:56:

Hi,
Just to confirm that the tradition is to name the first child after it's paternal grandparent and the second child of the same sex after it's maternal grandparent. The tradition is for each child in a family so that it is possible for cousins to have the same name. Additionally, one uses the father's name as the middle name. So it is Dimitrios [son of] Constandine Tzoumas - as in the case of my husband. Finally, it is really up to the grandparent what is offensive and what is acceptable. I think that the truly offensive thing would be not to acknowledge the tradition at all. My unsolicited advice would be to ask him/her. Best of luck.
Shelly

: Can someone please help me understand the baby boy naming thing? I have heard 2 different rules--1. the oldest son names his first baby boy after the baby boys' pa-poo or 2. all of the sons name their first baby boy after the baby's pa-poo. which way is the right way? and how offensive is it to use the grandfather's name as the baby's middle name and not as the first name?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]