Re: By the way Tony

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Evanthia on April 10, 2002 at 22:45:18:

In Reply to: Re: By the way Tony posted by Tony on April 10, 2002 at 13:37:01:

I could have misunderstood you Tony. I admit I smiled a great deal at your final line regarding people putting their life on hold because of bureaucratic processes - well I guess it wouldn't have been the first time in the universe that people have had delays/obstacles/all sorts of headaches due to some or other bureaucracy, that's the nature of the world. You know sometimes there is virtue in shrugging your shoulders and accepting what is, I mean national service is not the end of the world is it? I know many men whose closest friendships were established with fellow conscripts during national service. I'm not saying that the social reason is the only reason a man should do service if he has to, but there are advantages to the individual as well as the state. What ever happened to viewing life as a bit of an adventure that one doesn't always have total control over? The myth of an individual's control over every aspect of his life is a marketing tool designed to make you 'choose' one consumer product over the other. Forgive me I stray into philosophy and economics. I don't know, but the men I met that did their service didn't like the interruption but have some good stories to tell now. National service is not an illness nor a catastrophe, an obligation yes but it can be character building.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]