Re: A CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKER IS LOOKING FOR INPUT ON BEING RAISED IN A GREEK FAMILY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Dimitroula on April 20, 2002 at 10:36:41:

In Reply to: A CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKER IS LOOKING FOR INPUT ON BEING RAISED IN A GREEK FAMILY posted by ELLENY on February 10, 2002 at 21:35:21:

I could write a book! My father came to America in the '30's. In his late forties he decided he was ready to "settle down" and have a family. He corresponded with my mother, who was 23 years his junior and he returned to Greece were they were married in 1947. He returned to America with her; and time stood still! Greece progressed; my parents did not! I was raised in a post war environment with two younger sisters. I was not allowed to wear pants, talk to boys (let allow date them). I desperately wanted to be like my American counter-parts growing up in the '50's & 60's in middle America. I had no grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins or friends. I have difficultly to this day "fitting in"! I have two names my "American" name, which is on my birth cerificate and my "Greek" name which is on my baptismal certificate! When I rebelled in the late 60's and started to date they were furious! I was married to a non-Greek, for 21 years, for the wrong reasons. in 1989 my father died - he was 93. I divorced in 1990 - my mother and sister have stopped speaking to me. I moved to another state, remarried (also non-greek), and found a greek community which has been come as close to a greek family as I can get! I love being involve in the activities, but still feel like an outsider looking in. I just came back from seeing "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"! I cried and laugh at the same time! I recommend it to all greeks and non-greeks. I could relate to so much of it and at the same time how they were all a united family, an element missing in my life.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]