Have you tried living elsewhere?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Emmanuel on April 25, 2002 at 23:39:16:

In Reply to: Re: Ella tora posted by Panos on April 25, 2002 at 15:50:42:

Yes I choose to live in Greece and yes I have lived in the UK and Australia too. I can't imagine what you do for a living that you think you are being limited in Greece. I don't know what you mean at all. Are you saying you felt more free in Germany where you were educated? Then please live in Germany and have a good life and may all good things be with you. Why does the Orthodox Church scare you so much? Why does it make you so angry? I think you may need to examine your feelings on the matter perhaps a bit deeper than you have expressed here. I get the idea that you are very young and you are very troubled with an aspect of Greekness, hence your huge anger at an aspect of Greek culture (the Orthodox Church) which is fundamental to it, and has been for nearly two thousand years. The Greek spirit lives, as someone else wrote here, it just takes looking for. I get the impression that being brought up outside of Greece, you had an unrealistic impression in mind before you came to Greece, an impression formed of a country full of philosophers and democrats. But Greece is made up of real human beings, just like everywhere else, and just as prone as other people to greatness and pettiness. Accept Greece's failings as you see them, and accept your own failings, as you resist accepting them. Things are not as they were two thousand years ago, but as things are now, they still make, for me, the best place in the world to live in for me. You may be happier somewhere else, good for you and live well. As for Greece being medieval, I cans understand why you say this, but that too is another aspect of why I love Greece, it's because so many elements that make up its past live alongside all at once. I see modern Greece as a vibrant dynamic place, full of evolution and growth and creativity. I get the impression that your opinion of Greece was formed by some or other unpleasant experience you had in Greece or with Greeks. I suggest the next time you are in Greece, try to get in touch with more open-minded Greeks (they do exist)and get involved in something that you find rewarding. Experience colors everything, next time you have a visit, choose a better experience.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]