Re: For Hellens and not for Romious (It's Hellenes or Ellines, not "Hellens", by the way) {evolved Hellenism=Orthodoxy}

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Basil on April 28, 2002 at 23:07:56:

In Reply to: Re: For Hellens and not for Romious (It's Hellenes or Ellines, not "Hellens", by the way) posted by Panos on April 26, 2002 at 04:18:19:

: My points are:
: 1. What role does the church have to play in a modern society?
: 2. And I wanted to know how orthodoxy and "Hellenism" works together.

Please visit any of the world's Orthodox monasteries, particularly those in the Middle East (perhaps St. Catherine's) or any of the many which are manned by a single, besieged Greek monk (besieged by either Israelis, Arabs, Turks etc.) and perhaps YOU'LL come to understand how these bastions of Hellenism are the last outposts of an uninterrupted 3,000 year-old presence that ignorants such as yours truly would like to see go away (btw, I'm using ther term "ignorants" to describe someone completely oblivious to specific information, and is not intended as a personal insult towards you, Panos).

By the way, the world's single largest depository of ancient Hellenic texts IS in St. Catherine's monastery in the Sinai. Did you know that, my friend ?

Orthodoxy=Hellenism (for a period nearly twice as long as that between the Trojan War and the birth of Christ).

Basil

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]